RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Friday, May 18, 2012

Chickpea and Date Tagine

Chickpea and Date Tagine
Serves 6; Vegan

I hope all had a beautiful holiday and I wish everyone a joyous new year!!!!! I made this for a holiday potluck and it was a HUGE success!

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, diced (2 cups) **I used less
4 cloves of garlic, minced (4 tsp.) **I used about 2 1/2 tsp.
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes **I used fire roasted tomatoes (organic)
3 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup whole-wheat couscous **I used organic regular
1 cup pitted dates, halved
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 10 minutes, or until starting to brown, stirring often. Stir in garlic, cumin, coriander, ginger and cinnamon, and saute 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and 1/4 cup water; simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, toast couscous in small saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add 1 3/4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes. **I had to let it sit a little longer.

3. Stir dates and lemon juice into tagine, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve over couscous, sprinkle with cilantro.

Found: Vegetarian Times December 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment