RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Friday, May 25, 2012

Carson & Barnes Circus Demo

Yesterday, when I got off from work I participated in The Carson and Barnes Circus Demo. For those who don’t know what this is about, I’m an activist at heart and use my voice to speak up for those who can’t; from animals to the environment, women’s rights and abused neglected children. I’ve got a strong background in pet adoptions and have worked with abused and neglected kids at a long term care residential treatment center (RTC). One could say that I’m passionate about what I do, and one would be right…

Going back to the circus demo, I have to admit that this was one of the better ones I’ve been to. Small, with about 4 people showing up to use their voice, to show that they care and know, and are the change that they want to see in the world. In San Antonio, TX, a person holding up their sign is usually met with arguments more than a person stopping and asking about the why and the how.

Last night, the majority were positive responses and there were 2 negative responses; including a middle age man, overweight giving us the finger. Well what I would like to tell this man is, while we may not agree and if you want to insult us that is your choice. However, that shows your lack of maturity and please, do the gesture right!

It doesn’t matter if the group is large or small; when you use your voice to speak up for those that are abused (whatever cause) there is a sense of liberation. One leaves the peaceful demonstration or event more empowered and feeling like there is a difference being made. While I can’t keep elephants out of the circus yet, the more of the public that learn about what happens behind the scenes and stop going is a victory that continues. Someday, I hope that animals of all sorts are able to be free from the torture of electric prods and get to remain being animals; that they will no longer be exploited for entertainment, experiments, or robbed of their offspring. Until that day comes, I will continue to use my voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment