RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Quick Pesto with Broiled Tomatoes

Quick Pesto with Broiled Tomatoes
Serves 8; Vegan; 30 minutes or fewer

So, I did this recipe and it was SUPER easy and VERY yummy, however, I had a problem with my broiler burning the bread crumbs (even at 3 minutes). I set my oven to 325 degrees and "baked" them for a little longer. Since I'm seeing tomatoes everywhere, I figured this was the best post. If you serve with some garlic bread it turns into a light meal-perfect for summer!

Quick Pesto

3 cups basil leaves
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (I had to use both)

Broiled Tomatoes

4 medium tomatoes, cored and halved crosswise
5 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. panko breadcrumbs

To make pesto: Place basil and garlic in food processor , and process until finely chopped. Add pine nuts and nutritional yeast, and process for 1 minute, or until pine nuts are finely chopped and mixture is paste-like. (I put all of above into the food processor at one time, and added the oil as directed.) With motor running, add olive oil in a steady stream. Process 1 minute more, or until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

To make tomatoes: Preheat oven to broil. Place tomatoes cut-side up on baking sheet. Spread each tomato half with 2 tsp. Quick Pesto, and sprinkle with 2 tsp. panko breadcrumbs. Broil 3 to 5 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are browned and pesto is bubbly. Serve as a side dish.

Per Serving (1/2 tomato with topping): 84 cal.; 2 g. prot.; 6 g. total fat (<1 g. sat. fat); 6 g. carb.; 0 mg. chol.; 12 mg. sod.; 1 g. fiber; 2 g. sugars

No comments:

Post a Comment