RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Spinach-Artichoke Pesto

Spinach-Artichoke Pesto
Vegan

So, what does one do when their boyfriend asks what's for dinner, and you think he'll have his kids-so I don't have to cook. Well this happened last week, since it was spring break and his kids were still out of town. One does what she can to not have to go to the store and still create a fabulous meal, so, while I was driving home and he was walking my four legged furry "kids", I was taking inventory of what is in his fridge. When I googled the recipe-to see how many variations, only one came up. To make it vegan, I went with my own.... Bruce LOVED it! This is great with veggies or to make a complete meal, mix it with some pasta and veggies....

1/4 pound spinach
1 handful of fresh basil, or 1 package
2 packages of artichoke hearts, I found mine in the fresh veggie section, packed in water (I only had 1 on hand, but it really did need the 2nd.)
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil (extra depending on how thick you want it)
2 Tbs. nutritional yeast flakes (add a little at a time)
2 cloves of garlic
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste (I used white peppercorns)
rosemary, to taste (I used maybe a little less then 1/3 tsp)
oregano, to taste (I used maybe a little more then 1/3 tsp)

1. Place ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the spices, more olive oil to taste.

2. We prepared spinach fettuccine and sliced up mushrooms, zucchini, and a tomato (to add more color, this would also be great with yellow squash and orange sweet bell peppers). I sautéed the veggies with olive oil, garlic and onion adding more rosemary, oregano and crushed red peppers. Served with some rosemary bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment