RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lemongrass Curry Broccoli and Tofu

Lemongrass Curry Broccoli and Tofu
Vegan; Serves 6; 30 minutes or fewer

I found this recipe, and decided to modify it a bit. While I was shopping at an Asian Market, I picked up some frozen lemongrass for next to nothing and Jack Fruit. The story of jack fruit is that it has the texture of chicken (shredding and taste) with being a fruit. This is great for those who don't like tofu or have fallen into the processed "fake" meat trap. When picking out jack fruit, make sure it young, frozen or in a can (I got the frozen). The ripe jack fruit that's in a can has a lot syrup and is sweet. Anything with stars next to it is what I added extra to the recipe.

12 oz. firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
**4 jack fruit pieces, cubed
**2 large shallots, chopped (1 1/2 cups) {I used less}
1 stalk lemongrass, inner core chopped (1 1/2 Tbs) {I used dried}
**1/2 serrano chile, chopped (I didn't have this on hand, so I used 2 small Thia green chiles)
2 tsp. chopped fresh ginger (I zested mine to release more of the flavor)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground tumeric
**4 small carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally into 1/4 inch slices (I'm not a huge fan of carrots, so I used eggplant instead)
1 13.5 oz can light coconut milk (I use the stuff out of a box vs. the can)
3 cups broccoli florets (Bruce is not a fan of broccoli, so I tossed in shiitake mushrooms)
1 tomato, cut into thin wedges
**1/2 cup of butternut squash, cubed
**1 zucchini, sliced


1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and jack fruit. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden on all sides, it took longer then 10 minutes.

2. Pulse shallots, garlic, lemongrass, chile, and ginger in food processor until a smooth paste forms.

3. Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add shallot paste, and cook for 5 minutes, or until starting to brown. Stir in curry powder, tumeric, carrots, coconut milk, 1 1/2 cups of water. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Add broccoli, tomato and tofu; cook 5 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.

Per 1 cup serving: 189 cal.; 8g prot.; 11g total fat (4g sat fat); 16g carb.; 0mg chol.; 43mg sod.; 3g fib.; 4g sugars

Found: Vegetarian Times: March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment