RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Friday, May 18, 2012

Getting to the clean of things....

In the process of helping Bruce move into the new place, I brought over my cleaning supplies to help clean his old place. He was impressed with the natural clean smell and how they worked. (He already was cleaning his floors with vinegar, so his carbon footprint is better then most, however his use of bleach and other products leaves much to desire.) So, here is my list of items that I've found works around 2 four legged furry babies and 2 nieces along with the rest of my family....

Method (I LOVE this company! Never tested on animals and biodegradable, plus they have a factory/plant here in America)
Restroom Cleaner: Tub-N-Tile Soap Scum and Stain Remover (Eucalyptus and Mint)
Cleaning the grout-2 parts hydrogen peroxide with 1 part water (wear gloves, may cause irritation. It will stain clothes)

Fridge: I use 10 drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil in a spray bottle with 2 cup water. This keeps the fridge smelling fresh and cuts through any kind of grease, plus it helps with mold control. (Bruce was really impressed with this!)

Here is a recipe my friend Michelle and I use to make my laundry detergent:
1 cup soap flakes (I use olive oil soap-a little on the expensive side, but will last you!)
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax

Soap flakes can be made from grating your favorite pure vegetable soap with a cheese grater (use the smallest grate). Mix the ingredients together and store in a glass container. Use 1 Tablespoon per load (I use 1/2 a Tablespoon) and 2 for heavily soiled laundry, wash in cold or warm water. **For soft water: Use 1 cup soap flakes, 1/4 cup washing soda and 1/2 cup borax. **For hard water (What I had in San Antonio): Use 1 cup soap flakes, 1 cup washing soda and 1 cup borax. (Borax should not be ingested.
Gloves are recommended as washing soda may irritate skin after prolonged contact; not to be used with silks, woolens or vinyl.)

www.womenandenvironment.org

**Tip: Add 1/2 cup of white distilled vinegar to rinse as a fabric softener.
**Tip: For whites: Use hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach. Soak your clothes for 30 minutes in the washer with 1/2 cup 20% peroxide, then launder as usual.
**Tip: I add 3 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil to the dogs bedding/blankets laundry for an extra fresh and it helps repels fleas.

For other articles of clothing I use Method Free and Clear laundry detergent.

For dusting and polishing wood furniture (and my wood hangers) Wood for Good from Method (it smells like almonds). There is also a wood floor cleaner that they sell, as well....

For mopping Squirt & Mop (no bucket is needed and smells like lemon and ginger) I feel that my dogs can walk on the floor and lick their paws without ingesting a toxic that will cause adverse health problems. They are often the first (along with children) to experience damage caused from toxic "cleaning" products.

No comments:

Post a Comment