RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Thursday, May 17, 2012

the real cost of the purchase of wine

(This was posted May 29, 2009)

I was talking to friends the other night, and got to thinking. How "green" is the wine that I'm drinking? I thought about it and I didn't like the answer. That being said, at that moment I became aware of how I can make my carbon footprint even smaller.... Living in Texas, we are lucky to have great wineries in the hill country.
Check out www.gotexanwine.org for more information.

If you travel to the east coast, purchasing a bottle that comes from overseas is less fuel used then purchasing a bottle from the west coast. If traveling to the west coast look into the California wine country.

Just thoughts....

(Here is my update)

Being "green" about my wine consumption is great, but I have to look at the wineries that are making Vegan Wines....

Bonterra uses organic grapes, but only their whites are vegan
Our Daily Red is a good red that is organic and vegan

Check the labels and look into the companies.

Most wines will have casein in them which is: A protein that is found in milk and used independently in many foods as a binding agent. Technically, it is part of a group called phosphoproteins, collections of proteins bound to something containing phosphoric acid. Casein may also be called caseinogen, particularly in European foods.

In Red Wines, most companies will add animal by products to get the right color or taste....
Examples of animal products used as finings are gelatin, isinglass, chitosan, casein and egg albumen. Bull's blood is also used in some Mediterranean countries but is not allowed in the U.S. or Europe. Kosher wines use isinglass derived from fish bladders, though not from the sturgeon, since the kosher status of this fish is in debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment