Butternut Squash Lasagna
Vegan; Serves 6
When I made this, I added crushed red peppers to the puree-I just can't seem to remember how much I added. So, to be safe add what you like (maybe no more then 1 Tbs.)..... It was bland if you didn't add the crushed red pepper. With some modifications I've changed this recipe to be vegan. Adapted from Vegetarian Times April 2006. This is one of Bruce's favorites!
2 12-oz. pkg. frozen butternut squash purée, thawed, or 4 cups fresh butternut squash purée
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried rubbed sage
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 package of firm tofu, with the liquid pressed out
1/2 cup grated vegan Parmesan cheese, or nutritional yeast
1-2 Tbs. crushed red pepper
8 short no-cook lasagna noodles (about 7x4 inches)
To make Fresh Butternut Squash Purée:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place 2 whole butternut squash (about 2 lb. each) on baking sheet, and bake, turning occasionally, about 1 hour, or until very tender when pierced with tip of paring knife. Let squash cool enough to handle.
2. Halve each squash lengthwise. Scoop out and discard seeds. Scrape flesh into food processor and purée until smooth.
To make Lasagna:
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine squash purée, 1 tsp. salt, sage, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in medium bowl; mix well. Combine tofu, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in second bowl, and mix well.
4. Coat 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place 2 noodles in bottom of dish, overlapping slightly. Spread half of squash mixture over noodles. Layer 2 more noodles on top, and spread with half of tofu mixture. Repeat layers—noodles, squash, noodles, tofu—then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
5. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake 45 minutes, remove foil, and bake 20 to 25 minutes more, or until golden on top. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: Calories: 265, Protein: 15g, Total fat: 8g, Saturated fat: 4g, Carbs: 34g, Cholesterol: 28mg, Sodium: 774mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 1g