RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Spicy Tomatillo Banana Pepper Salsa


Spicy Tomatillo Banana Pepper Salsa
Vegan

While I was visiting friends in San Antonio, TX. I was able to hit my usual farmer market (Legacy Oaks) and got caught up with my farmers. Mr. Estrada (one of my favorite people) had the banana peppers, tomatillos and the tomatoes. Bruce got to go with me, and asked what I had in mind, well.... I wasn't expecting the salsa to be the kind of spicy that you feel in your ears, but his oldest finished the half that was mango free. My friends liked the mango version, even with the heat level.

1 pound small sweet tomatillos, shucked
1/2 pound banana peppers, seeded (save some of the seeds-to taste)
1 pound cherry tomatoes (I used an orange variety that was more sweet then tart)
1 habanero pepper, seeded
1/4 cup onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 bunch of cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 Tbs. lime juice
salt to taste

**NOTE: To cut the heat add 2 mangoes (which I had to, so I could leave for friends) or 1 cup pineapple and cut the salsa recipe in half.

1. Heat a pot of water and add tomatillos. They will change to a lighter green-white color, remove before they burst. Depending on size, this can take up to 15 minutes.

2. Pulse in a blender or a food processor tomatillos, banana peppers (some seeds) and tomatoes. Add habanero pepper, onion, cilantro and lime juice, pulse again.
** Add the mango or pineapple if using, and pulse

No comments:

Post a Comment