RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Natural Beauty Within....

While in San Antonio, TX last week, I got to rediscover a great city along with visiting friends. Bruce had never been to San Antonio and it goes without saying that his kids hadn't, either. Getting to be a tourist, we hit the farmers market (for me), and I got to see Christopher my vendor for vegan lotions and soaps.

Chris and I started talking about how there is SO much lead, animal by-products, not to mention the truly nastiness that some will add to "enhance" whatever you want enhanced. Getting back, I got to purchase my favorite product that he has. Organic Lavender Shea Butter, Bruce tried it and instantly loved as well.... For the air in Colorado being SO thin and dry, I find that I have to slather myself in this to stay moisturized...

When I ran out during the winter, I used my bottle of sweet almond oil (I still use it, just yesterday in fact)! The sweet almond oil is perfect for eye make-up remover that is NOT a petroleum base and not tested on animals. (Look at the label, if you are shopping outside of the cooking isle.)

These are just some of the products I use and LOVE!!!!

Organic Lavender Shea Butter ($20.00) for a 6.7 oz
(this will last me 3 months using it everyday)
Hempsense Organics 210-385-0720 info@hempsenseorganics.com

Sweet Almond Oil
Now Solutions
Can be found at most Whole Foods in the beauty isle.

Witch Hazel and I add a few drops of Lavender Essential Oil as my face astringent. You'll spend some money on the essential oil, however it will last you at least a year (maybe longer). I use mine in my laundry too, so I go through it faster.

My favorite exfoliate is corn meal and lavender buds. The steam releases the fragrance of the lavender buds and the cornmeal is all natural. (Make sure you buy from the bulk bin to get more for less, since you'll be able to use this in the kitchen and make sure you look for organic cornmeal.)

I know that lavender is my favorite sent, what is yours? Roses, make some rose water for a face astringent. If taking a relaxing bath add some petals to your bath water.

Be sure you have a brick and heat-safe stainless steel or glass quart bowl ready before you begin.

Ingredients:
2-3 quarts fresh roses or rose petals
Water
Ice cubes or crushed ice

1. In the center of a large pot (the speckled blue canning pots are ideal) with an inverted lid (a rounded lid), place a fireplace brick. On top of the brick place the bowl. Put the roses in the pot; add enough flowers to reach the top of the brick. Pour in just enough water to cover the roses. The water should be just above the top of the brick.

2. Place the lid upside down on the pot. Turn on the stove and bring the water to a rolling boil, then lower heat to a slow steady simmer. As soon as the water begins to boil, toss two or three trays of ice cubes (or a bag of ice) on top of the lid.

3. You’ve now created a home still! As the water boils the steam rises, hits the top of the cold lid, and condenses. As it condenses it flows to the center of the lid and drops into the bowl. Every 20 minutes, quickly lift the lid and take out a tablespoon or two of the rose water. It’s time to stop when you have between a pint and a quart of water that smells and tastes strongly like roses.

Adapted from Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbs for Natural Beauty, by Rosemary Gladstar.
Rose Water recipe found through Care2.com

No comments:

Post a Comment