Smashing Corn Casserole (from Christina Pirello)
This truly deluxe casserole is a snap to make and a hit with everyone who has tasted it. It blends the sweet taste of fresh corn, tangy roasted red peppers, rich sesame tahini, sweet squash and the nutritional kick of beans.
1 cup cooked black beans, smashed with a fork
1/3 cup sesame tahini
yellow corn meal
spring or filtered water
2 ears fresh corn, kernels removed
several clean corn husks
1 red pepper, roasted and diced
2 cups (approximately) pureed pumpkin or winter squash
pinch sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Puree the beans with tahini and season lightly with shoyu. Set aside.
2. Mix corn meal with salt and enough water to make a thick paste. You will need about 1 1/2 cups of this mixture. Fold in corn kernels. Set aside.
3. Line a lightly oiled, deep casserole dish with several clean corn husks, allowing them to hang over the sides a bit.
4. Begin layering (like lasagna) by spreading some corn meal mixture on the husks. Add some of the bean mixture, pureed squash and sprinkle with a bit of the red peppers. Continue layering until the dish is full, but be sure to end with corn meal on the top. Fold the husks over the casserole and press into the topping to hold them in place.
5. Cover and bake for 35 minutes, until firm. Remove the cover and return to oven to brown the top slightly. Serve immediately.