Zucchini Vegan Parmesan Crisps
Vegan; Serves 4
When I made these last week, I tossed them in a sun dried tomato pasta. To compliment both, I added artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes and as the sauce I made an olive oil, garlic and earth balance lemon sauce. Bruce loved it with the rosemary sourdough bread toasted with earth balance with some garlic powder.....
1 lb. zucchini or squash (about 2 medium-sized)
1/4 cup vegan shredded Parmesan
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs (heaping)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with foil and spray lightly with vegetable spray.
2. Slice zucchini or squash into 1/4 inch-thick rounds. Toss rounds with oil, coating well.
3. In a wide bowl or plate, combine breadcrumbs, vegan Parmesan, salt and pepper.
4. Place rounds in Parmesan-breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides of each round, pressing to adhere. The mixture will not completely cover each round, but provides a light coating on each side.
5. Place rounds in a single layer on baking sheets. Sprinkle any remaining breadcrumb mixture over the rounds.
Bake for about 22 to 27 minutes, until golden brown. (There is no need to flip them during baking -- they crisp up on both sides as is.)
Adapted from Ellie Krieger's recipe in The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life