RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Art of Composting.....

The Art of Composting….

When I was living in San Antonio, I had a composting pile that was really nutrient rich. It really didn't take long for the earth worms to find their way, and make it even better… My potted plants flourished from the compost, and my trash output went WAY down. It was a sad moment when I had to give the pile to Mother Nature, and move to Colorado.

Now that Bruce and I are settled, we've established a new composting pile that has had to be emptied out 3 times. This last time, I found the first earth worm and was really excited. Bruce had told me that he's never been successful at composting.

So here it is: a list of items that can be composted. Between this and recycling there is little to go into a landfill.

Of course here are the basics:

veggie/fruit food scraps (excluding onion and garlic-they can kill the good microbes)
cotton balls/q-tips (cardboard handle)
plant trimmings/fresh flowers/dried flowers
coffee grounds/tea bags
stale crackers/tortilla chips/potato chips
stale/moldy bread

Things that surprised me (that make sense):

insides of the vacuum bag/dryer lint
pencil shavings
paper muffin/cupcake liners
tofu/tempeh
toothpicks
fireplace ash
wine coorks (not plastic)

Things I had NO idea about:

cooked pasta
booze (wine/beer)
non-dairy/soy "milk-dairy"
dog food (dry)/rawhides
old masking tape
paper towels/napkins
toilet paper/paper towel rolls (shredded first)
pizza/cereal boxes (shredded first)

Make sure that you cover the "food" items with dirt, plant trimmings or the vacuum bag contents. You can attract flies or vermin; plus it will smell. Don't forget, if you use Method quick wipes, they are compost-able too... Happy composting!




No comments:

Post a Comment