vegan, makes 10 poppers
I made these last month for a pot luck, and everyone LOVED them... I made about 40 of them to make sure there were plenty for people to enjoy. If you make as many as I did, please wear gloves, my fingers were burning for days after. ~_^
5 large jalapeno peppers, de-seeded and halved
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
1/4 cup Daiya cheddar cheese shreds
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
dash of chipotle powder
pinch of salt and pepper
Panko Bread Crumbs
small flat bowl of hemp milk (about 1/4 cup)
1+ cups olive oil
1. Prep your jalapenos by halving them and carefully removing the seeds. Set aside.
2. Get your "breading" station set up. You will have a bowl for each of these: cheese mixture (fold the shreds into the cream cheese), flour mixture, panko crumbs, soy milk.
3. Start prepping your jalapenos. Here is the method: stuff with cheese, roll in milk, roll in flour, back in milk, roll in panko crumbs, set aside. Pressing the panko crumbs into the wet cheese layer really helps. Continue this process until all the jalapenos are stuffed and breaded.
4. Pour your oil into a large pot over med-high heat. Test the oil for heat-readiness by dropping one panko crumb into the oil - if it sizzles, the oil is hot enough. If you can get by with cooking all your poppers with 1 cup of oil, great. But if you want a more saturated "fry" you may need to add more.
5. Pan-fry each jalapeno popper for about 90 seconds on each side. Flip with care.
6. Transfer poppers to a paper towels to cool for a few minutes before serving.