Saturday, July 20, 2013
Raw Blackberry Crumble
Raw; Vegan; Gluten Free; Soy Free
This recipe is adapted from Getting Raw. I had blackberries on hand, so use what berries you like. This lasted not even a 24 hours in my household, with unexpected house guests (friends are always welcome) and the boys being home all day since summer holiday.... These should last about 5 days tightly wrapped and stored in the fridge! Happy Summer...
For crust and topping:
2 cups shredded coconut
1/2 cup cashews
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup agave or brown rice syrup
1. Process coconut, cashews and salt in a food processor until fine and crummy, then add in the agave or brown rice syrup until well mixed.
2. Press the 2/3 mixture into a pan that has been lined with cling wrap. Make it thick enough that it will hold up as a cookie base when done.
3. Refrigerate while making the jam. (I stuck mine in the freezer.)
1 10 oz package of frozen blackberries thawed and drained or 1 carton fresh berries
3 TBSP date paste (see recipe in blog)
1/4 cup agave syrup or brown rice syrup to sweeten to taste.
1. Using a blender or food processor, blend berries until nicely chopped and mixed. Taste for sweetness and add more agave or brown rice syrup if necessary.
2. Once the bottom crust is set, pour the jam over and spread. Best to let this set up in the fridge before adding top layer. I didn't wait and pressed out little balls and layered over the top to keep it floating on top of the jam (because it wasn't set yet) but you could just sprinkle the crumb topping over as well.
3. Best to let the whole thing sit a couple of hours in the fridge covered to set up. Then cut and use plastic wrap to help you get it out of the pan in one piece.