Daiya Mac 'N' Cheese
Vegan; 23 cups
I made this as a side dish for the kids during Christmas... I know it was a hit, since a friends daughter had 5 cupcake servings. I added a tip to make this more adult friendly, but this is a perfect dish for kids and adults.....
3 cups non-dairy milk of choice- I used Hemp
2 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
8 oz (1 bag) Daiya Cheddar
3 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni or shells
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt
pepper as desired
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
12-18 muffin liners and muffin pan
** To make adult, add 1 garlic clove minced, 1/4 onion, diced and 1/2 cup peas. Throw in some crushed red pepper to give a perfect kick.**
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cook pasta according to package directions
3. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 cups of the milk over medium.
4. In a small bowl, mix 1 cup milk and cornstarch, whisk until smooth. Add the milk with the cornstarch to the milk on the stove and whisk. Continue to cook over medium. Add salt, celery salt, pepper and nutritional yeast.
5. Now add the Daiya and stir. Allow Daiya to melt and cook another 5 minuted to thicken. Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce. Mix well and spoon into lined muffin pan.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Leftovers: you can freeze these in freezer bags and pull a couple out as you need them.