RecipesUS

Top Food Blogs

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Seitan ~ in the Slow Cooker

Seitan ~ in the Slow Cooker
Makes 1.5 pounds
Vegan

This recipe is my "go to" recipe for making homemade seitan. It's SO easy to make and tastes like the roast that your mom used to make. If you love to use a crock-pot or slow cooker, this is the book to buy! Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker

I have used this book for several recipes, and there are other recipes that use this as a base!

Here I've made gyros

Here I've made 3 bean pumpkin soup

1 3/4 cups of vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon onion powder (I use 1/2 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I use 1 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use a pinch)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 Tablespoons soy sauce (divided)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 3/4 cups water or vegetable broth (I use all the water with a whole no-chicken bouillon cube)
1 medium-size onion, quartered (I use less)

1. In a large bowl, combine the vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, onion/garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in 3 Tablespoons of soy sauce, olive oil, and water or broth. Stir well until mixed. Knead for 3 minutes. (All in one bowl making for easy clean-up!)

2. Pour about 2 quarts of water into the slow cooker. Depending on your preference, leave the seitan dough whole or divide into 4-6 pieces and add the remaining soy sauce and onion. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

3. Transfer the cooked seitan to a baking sheet to cool. If you are not using the seitan right away, it can be stored submerged in its cooking liquid in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or for up to 3 weeks in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment